Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Handprint Keepsake


This was my daughter's Christmas gift to her grandmothers--a handprint keepsake. First, I gathered these supplies:
  • 5x5 photo frame (preferably with a complementary mat)
  • sturdy fabric on which to stitch handprint
  • fabric marker one shade deeper than the fabric you've chosen
  • contrasting thread (I used cross-stitching floss)
Then, I traced my daughter's hand with the fabric marker to give myself a template to stitch around. I didn't worry too much about getting every stitch perfect, and I was pleased by the casual and homemade results.

After finishing the border, I filled in the inside with the same fabric marker for a little more contrast. Then I mounted it in the photo frame (you could do a custom size if you wanted to), and the gift was complete! I also made sure to date the back of the frame with "Christmas 2009."

Because I used scrap fabric and thread, the only cost came from purchasing the photo frame, which was on sale for $5 at a local craft store. It was a simple project that took very little time and cash, but brought joyful tears to Nana's eyes and will be a keepsake for years to come. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment